I just received the following e-mail from Canon USA, regarding a new firmware update for the 5D Mark III: This service notification e-mail contains important information about your EOS 5D Mark III. Please note that product service announcement e-mails contain advisory or informational content that may be critical to the proper operation of your product, including safety, update, and instructional messages. Please carefully review the information in this e-mail as it relates to your Canon product.
Thank you for using Canon products.
Canon has released a firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark III.
Firmware Firmware Version 1.2.3 incorporates the following improvements and fixes:
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the flash may not fire depending on the timing of when the shutter button is pressed.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value may change.*
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may show a line of false color along boundaries of high contrast.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the histogram of a LiveView image is incorrectly displayed when an HDMI cable is connected.
- Enables the brightness of the camera's LCD monitor to be adjusted even when an HDMI cable is connected.* The phenomenon listed in 2 was addressed with Firmware Version 1.2.1, and has been further improved with Firmware Version 1.2.3.
Firmware Version 1.2.3 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.2.1. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.2.3, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.
The new Firmware Version 1.2.3 can be downloaded by clicking here.